EASY PARUPPU RASAM

November 24, 2020

 EASY PARUPPU RASAM


Rasam, if you ask me to describe it, I would say It's my comfort food. You can have rasam with anything. And there is a tag in Tamil, "If someone can make perfect Rasam, It means they can cook any kind of food". I not sure how true is that. But I just love them and there are hundreds of ways to do it. Even I used to make rasam in 10 different ways a minimum. There are lots of different types of rasam available lemon rasam, pineapple rasam, Mysore rasam, Udupi Rasam, Rasam with garlic, and Rasam without Garlic, and the list may go on...

Now, I would love to share with you guys my Rasam preparation experience for the first time after marriage. In general, before marriage, I am not this passionate about cooking and the only reason is my laziness. But I can cook a few items for survival that’s all I was during those days. Luckily I love my mom's Rasam it’s tangy and she won’t use much dhal, I love all about her Rasam so I saw her few times while she prepares it at home.

So after marriage for some reason, everyone in my In-law family went out and half of the cooking is done. Except for Rasam so my mother-in-law casually told me to prepare Rasam without realizing that’s my first time. I was both excited and nervous. I thought like if got something else to cook for first it would be easy. But fortunately or unfortunately I got to do that, and it turned out well even to my surprise😉😊. By tasting the rasam my mother-in-law told the quote, which I mentioned in the intro, and said, "So you can handle us with cooking then".

I was the happiest person in the world at that time to know, everyone was able to eat that while they are hungry. It was a nice experience though😍. Ever since I keep gaining confidence in cooking and learned lots of things from her. And today I can proudly say if my husband needs to identify the difference between my and my mother-in-law’s cooking it would definitely hard for him at least for a few items. So, let’s check out the Rasam which I usually prepare for my kids now,

INGREDIENTS:

1. Tamarind                      -1 lemon size.
2. Tomato                           -1no.
3. Garlic                              -2cloves.
4. Turmeric                       -1/2spoon.
5. Salt                                  -as per taste.
6. Jeera                               -1/2spoon.
7. Pepper                           -1/2spoon.
8. Ghee 0r Oil                   -1spoon.
9. Mustard                         -1/2spoon.
10. Hing                              -a pinch.
11. Toor Dhal(Cooked) -2spoon.

METHOD:

1. First, soak tamarind in warm water for at least 10mins.
2. Then crush jeera and pepper together and keep it aside. Again crush garlic and keep it separately. 
3. Now in a pan add a spoon of oil or ghee. Let the heat a bit, then add mustard and a bit of jeera. Once it splutters add crushed garlic.
4. Then add cut tomatoes to the pan and saute a bit. Once it is cooked a bit then add crushed jeera, pepper, turmeric, and, hing and saute a bit.
5. Then add tamarind extract to the pan along with some salt.
6. Let it cook altogether a bit. Once the raw smell goes away a bit then add cooked dhal with some water to liquefy the preparation.
7. Taste rasam and make necessary adjustments. Now keep the flame in low to medium flame.
8. Once you saw some bubble on the top add cut coriander leaves to the rasam and switch off the flame and keep it covered with a lid.
9.  Well, Our fantastic Simple  Paruppu Rasam is ready to be served.

METHOD WITH PICTURES:

1. First, soak tamarind in warm water for at least 10mins. Then crush jeera and pepper together and keep it aside. Again crush garlic and keep it separately. Now in a pan add a spoon of oil or ghee. Let then heat a bit, then add mustard and a bit of jeera. Once it splutters add crushed garlic.



4. Then add cut tomatoes to the pan and saute a bit. Once it is cooked a bit then add crushed jeera, pepper, turmeric, and, hing and saute a bit.


5. Then add tamarind extract to the pan along with some salt.


6. Let it cook altogether a bit. Once the raw smell goes away a bit then add cooked dhal with some water to liquefy the rasam to achieve your desired consistency.


7. Taste rasam and make necessary adjustments. Now keep the flame in low to medium flame.


8. Once you saw some bubble on the top add cut coriander leaves to the rasam and switch off the flame and keep it covered with a lid.

 


9.  Well, Our fantastic Simple  Paruppu Rasam is ready to be served.


NOTE:

1. While spluttering please do add curry leaves it will give beautiful flavor to the rasam. 
2. Based on the tangy level of the tamarind you can adjust the quantity. And the tamarind I used here is a bit dark, If you use new tamarind the color of the rasam will even nice.
    
    Hope you guys liked this post. Let me know your suggestions and thoughts or any of your interesting stories with cooking in the comment section. I am looking forward to know all your stories. Other than all, always, "Stay Positive and Keep Smiling😀 ".

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Thinking abt thz mouth watering dear! 🤤

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys reviews only gave me the confidence to post this recipe Raji😍🙏

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook