MUSHROOM MASALA FOR RICE

June 15, 2021

 MUSHROOM MASALA FOR RICE



Mushrooms are the Meat of the vegetarian world. Mushroom is the only food that can produce Vitamin D. It contains disease-fighting properties, antioxidants, and numerous minerals that are important for our survival and can fight against cancer. They can act as a probiotic for beneficial bacteria. Not only that but Mushrooms are also easy to digest and easily available superfoods.

Mushrooms are an interesting ingredient to cook. The cooking time is very less yet it can add a beautiful taste and flavor to the food. Actually, in my family, we started to use mushrooms very recently. Like after I got into college only we tried and cooked mushrooms. Even though it is being used in cooking for a very long time there was some hesitation to accept mushrooms as a vegetarian food I guess, Maybe!! Whatever the reason was I would say we missed this wonderful food for a long time for no reason.

Mushrooms always attracted me. When I was in school, one of my friends. And she used to bring mushrooms as a side dish almost every day. As a kid, I never paid much attention to food, just like I mentioned in my older posts. But something about the mushrooms got my attention. I am not sure is that the flavor, or the look, or what did that, I have no idea. So after trying hard to control my eagerness to know what it is, I asked her one day.

At that time I don't even know that something like an edible mushroom even exists. Because at that time the mushrooms all I was aware of were the ones that suddenly appear in the woods after a rainfall. And she described to me about it, that they were growing them in their home and it's completely safe to eat. At that time it was hard for me to believe 100%, whatever she said was true, poor me😅😉. Now, the story is completely different. I can eat mushrooms for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, and repeat😀😋. 

And the recipe I am going to share today is an effect of the story I told in the Coconut Milk Rice post. After I finished the post I got tempted to taste the exact food I ate on that day. So I called my sister-in-law for the recipe and she made her mother in law to teach me the recipe of that same Mushroom Kulambu she prepared. So here I am with my recent crush for you all and really Thank you so much Dhana Lakshmi aunty for sharing this wonderful recipe with us. On that note, without any delay let's begin the preparation.

INGREDIENTS:

1. Oil                                       -2tbsp.
2. Cinamon stick                 -1inch piece.
3. Gloves                                 -2-3no.
4. Fennel seeds                    -1/2tsp.
5. Onion                                  -2no.
6. Green chili                        -1-2no.
7. Tomato                               -3no.
 8.Mushroom                         -200gms.
9. Turmeric powder            -1/2tsp.
10. Chili powder                   -1tsp.
11. Coriander powder        -1/2tsp.
12. Jeera powder                  -1/2tsp.
13. Garam masala               -1/2tsp. 
14. Pepper Powder              -1/2tsp.

TO GRIND:

1. Coconut                             -1/4cup.
2. Garlic clove                      -2no.
3. Ginger                                -1inch piece.

METHOD:

1. In a pressure cooker heat some oil. Once it heats enough add cinnamon stick, cloves, and fennel seeds.
2. After they turned aromatic add finely chopped onions and saute them along with some salt for 3-4mins.
3. Then add chopped tomatoes and cook them for a minute. Still, we are going to pressure cook the gravy it doesn't need to be cooked completely at this stage.
4. Now add cut mushrooms to the gravy and give it a nice mix. For this recipe cut the mushrooms bigger than you cut for other recipes.
5. Let the mushrooms cook for some time. And then it's time to add all the spice powders jeera powder, chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, and garam masala. Then mix everything together.
6. Meanwhile, the gravy is cooked grind coconut, garlic, and ginger to a smooth paste by adding some water. And add this paste to the gravy.
7. After adding the coconut masala paste adjust the gravy thickness by adding the required water. Since I am making this gravy to serve with Coconut Milk Rice I want it to be a semi gravy. So I am just adding about half a cup of water.
8. Then close it and give it a couple of whistles in medium flame. Open it after all the stream released naturally. Then you would be able to see the oil glazed above the gravy beautifully.
9. Finally, add finely chopped coriander and enjoy it with your favorite rice or roti😋👍!!


METHOD WITH PICTURE:

1. In a pressure cooker heat some oil. Once it heats enough add cinnamon stick, cloves, and fennel seeds.


2. After they turned aromatic add finely chopped onions and saute them along with some salt for 3-4mins.


3. Then add chopped tomatoes and cook them for a minute. Still, we are going to pressure cook the gravy it doesn't need to be cooked completely at this stage.


4. Now add cut mushrooms to the gravy and give it a nice mix. While cutting mushrooms for this recipe cut them bigger than usual.


5. Let the mushrooms get cooked for some time.  And then it's time to add all the spice powders from jeera powder, chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, and garam masala. Then mix everything together.


6. Meanwhile, the gravy is cooked grind coconut, garlic, and ginger to a smooth paste by adding some water. And add this paste to the gravy.


7. After adding the coconut masala paste adjust the gravy thickness by adding the required water. Since I am making this gravy to serve with Coconut Milk Rice I want it to be a semi gravy. So I am just adding about half a cup of water.

 


8. Then close it and give it a couple of whistles in medium flame. When you open it after all the stream released naturally it would look something like this, 


9. Finally, add finely chopped coriander and enjoy it with your favorite rice or roti😋👍!!

 


NOTES:

1. First of all, I have a confession to make. Actually, the pictures you saw in this post were taken for my personal reference. I might be skipped a couple of pictures in this post. I cannot wait to share my recent finding with you guys so kindly adjust the minor flaws here and there and definitely give this Mushroom gravy a try.
2. This one is also a part of the first point. Because of the glazing layer of oil on the top of the gravy, I was not able to show you guys exactly how it was looked to my eyes. Trust me that was more tempting than in the picture😋😉. But this is the closest one I was able to take.
3. And along with all the spice powders if you guys like you can also add 1/2tsp of fennel seed powder as well.
4. I didn't use too much oil in this recipe I just used it as usual. I guess that is the trick of pressure cooking that added a beautiful glaze to the recipe.

    I am really excited to share this recipe with you all. Hope you also able to enjoy as much we do with your family. Share your experience of this recipe or any of you favorite recipe with me, I am all ears😍. And always, "Stay Positive and Keep Smiling😀".
  

FUN FACTS:

1. Mushrooms are a fungus, unlike plants mushrooms do not requires sunlight to grow😎.
2. Mushrooms are made up of around 90% water.
3. Before the invention of synthetic dyes, mushrooms were widely used to dye wool and other natural fibers. Mushroom dyes are organic compounds and produce strong, vivid colors😲👍.
4. The practice of commercially growing mushrooms is called FUNGICULTURE😎.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook