VEN PONGAL(With Leftover Rice)

September 24, 2020

 VEN PONGAL(With Leftover Rice)


Pongal and vada are some of the best combos that are something no one can say no to, I guess. And the basic reason is its wonderful taste and the best aroma you can expect from your food. It's not just tasty, it's full of goodness. In fact, it's one of the best breakfasts you can have, if you prepare at home with limited ghee, just to make sure you are not consuming any extra calories.

In my family, we use this as a sleeping dose😉. Because everyone at my home loves it, from my father-in-law to my younger 2.5 years old son. So every time, we end up overeating, and automatically it will do its magic and make all of us drowsy. Truly, it's our real scenario😜. Since my kids love it, to make my job done, Pongal is my cue card.

Even though preparing Pongal is very simple, I know it's not everyone's cup of coffee. But this is a foolproof recipe, I am gonna share here and I have a special motive to share this recipe. Simply the reason is, I prefer to make at least a handful of extra rice every time I cook our lunch because my policy is that no one should leave with hungry from the table. Especially it's hard to predict kids hunger level some days they may prefer to eat a bit extra I don’t want to miss that opportunity to feed some more.

Because of this habit, I end up with leftovers almost every day and I won't prefer to reheat rice in the oven. That's when my in-law thought me this recipe. Ever since I am making this recipe regularly at least for my kids and don't worry(We won't serve it to our guests😍) the taste is too good that no one can actually believe that you used leftover rice. So enough talking I guess let's check out the preparation,

INGREDIENTS:

PREPARATION TIME: 5mins.
COOKING TIME: 15mins.
SERVES: 2.

1. Cooked Rice             -11/2cup.
2. Moong Dhal            -1/2cup.
3. Ghee                          -2tbsp.
4. Pepper                     -1/2 spoon.
5. Jeera                        -1/2spoon.
6. Hing                         -1/2spoon.
7. Ginger                     -1inch.
8. Milk                         -1cup.
9. Water                      - 21/2cup.
9. Turmeric               -1/2spoon.
10. Salt                       -as per taste.

METHOD:

1. In a Pressure cooker pour water, and milk, then add turmeric powder.
2. Then add moong dhal to it and let it cook for 5mins.
3. Now, add cooked rice along with shred ginger, hing, and salt, then mix everything well.
4. And close the cooker with the lid and let it whistle once and let the pressure be released naturally.
5. Now in a small pan add ghee, ground pepper, and jeera, and a pinch of hing with a few Curry leaves. let it splatter for 30secs and add it to the cooked Pongal.
6. After mixing everything together keep it closed for at least 5mins so that all the flavors will incorporate together.
7. That's all our tasty Ven Pongal is ready that no one will say it's out of leftover rice.

METHOD WITH PICTURES:

1. In a Pressure cooker pour water, and milk, then add turmeric powder.


2. Then add moong dhal to it and let it cook for 5mins.



3. Now, add cooked rice along with shred ginger, hing, and salt, then mix everything well.



4. And close the cooker with the lid and let it whistle once and let the pressure be released naturally.


5. Now in a small pan add ghee, ground pepper, and jeera, and a pinch of hing with a few Curry leaves. let it splatter for 30secs and add it to the cooked Pongal. After mixing everything together keep it closed for at least 5mins so that all the flavors will incorporate well.




7. That's all our tasty Ven Pongal is ready that no one will say it's out of leftover rice.


NOTE:

1. Just mix the cooked rice and dhal very well before adding the tempering just to make sure the consistency of Pongal. If the rice mix is too thick add a bit of boiling water and mix it well, to get a smooth consistency.
2. If your kids and you are okay to have ginger chunks in Pongal then you can add a spoon of thinly sliced ginger to the tampering for better flavor.
3. You can use the same recipe to prepare regular Pongal with raw rice too.

    Hope this post was useful to you guys and please let me know your thoughts and suggestions in the comments. Until then see you guys next time and as always " Stay Positive and Keep Smiling 😀".




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook